Bradenton Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one was involved in a Florida bicycle accident, it’s crucial to contact a Bradenton bicycle accident lawyer right away. You need a legal advocate on your side who can help you fight for the compensation you deserve. In many accidents, bicyclists suffer catastrophic injuries since there is no protection between them and the vehicle. At The Cahall Law Firm, we know the challenges bicycle riders face when pursuing a claim for damages.
Florida Leads in Bicycle Fatalities
Unfortunately, Florida leads the nation in bicycle fatalities. According to the most recent statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 783 bicyclists were killed across the country. 125 of those deaths were in Florida. Some of the most common causes of bicycle fatalities include:
- Not yielding the right away (29.1%)
- The bicyclist was not visible due to no lighting, dark clothing, etc. (9.9%)
- Failure to open traffic signals, signs, etc. (9.9%)
- Driving under the influence of alcohol, medication, or drugs (6.2%)
- Improper crossing roadway or intersection (5.3%)
- A driver making an improper turn (3.2%)
When a loved one dies in a bicycle accident, certain family members might have the right to bring a Florida wrongful death claim. Wrongful death claims compensate eligible family members for their losses, such as loss of consortium, companionship, and inheritance.
How to Prevent or Reduce Bicycle Accident Injuries
No matter how safety precautions you take, you can’t prevent all bicycle accidents. However, you can reduce the possibility and maybe prevent catastrophic injuries. Some safety tips include:
- Always wear a helmet. Florida law only requires that riders under 16 years old need to wear one. However, helmets can help limit or prevent traumatic brain injuries, so it’s worth wearing one if you are 16 or over.
- Take extra precautions when riding your bike alongside cars. Pay even more attention when making a turn, or you’re at an intersection.
- Make sure your brakes are working before you go for a ride. Florida requires that all bicycles meet certain braking specifications. By conducting a safety check before getting on your bike, you can help avoid a collision.
Who Is Liable for a Bradenton Bicycle Collision?
Distracted drivers cause most Florida bicycle accidents. If a negligent driver is the cause of your accident, then their insurance company would be paying for your damage as you have the right to sue the responsible party. In fact, you have the same rights as other motorists in the event of an accident.
In some cases, the driver may flee the scene. Unfortunately, that is especially common when the driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Hit-and-run drivers can be challenging to track down, but it’s not always impossible. Pay attention to every detail of the car if possible before it is gone. Call 911 immediately to respond and give them all the information you have.
You may have a claim against the government as well. Was there low visibility when there should be more lighting? If the roadway wasn’t maintained or traffic lights not working, then the responsible government agency could be liable for a portion of your damages.
Contact a Bradenton Bicycle Accident Lawyer
After a bicycle accident in Florida, speak with a knowledgeable Bradenton bicycle accident lawyer to learn more about your recovery options. Contact The Cahall Law Firm today to schedule an initial consultation.